CHS

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A KNIGHT BELOW STAIRS

Gracious Readers;

In thinking over my earlier postings here at Chipman Hill Suites, it appears that I have been “a knight below stairs” most of the time. In most of my stations, my positioning has been immediately at the foot of the stairs. This normally gives me an excellent vantage point over the door and all who enter, and I can keep a wary eye out for doors left unlocked, sleepwalking guests and the like.

Now that I have been resident at 145 Germain for a fortnight, I feel that I have settled in nicely. I find that a number of my guests are from far away, although they do not seem unfamiliar with snow and cold weather. I am hoping to become friends with them, and I also hope that, like many of my former guests, they will wish to have their picture taken with me to send home to their friends and relatives.

There was a gentleman here today who spent a lot of time on the floor on his knees with some sort of instrument of measurement.  For a short while, I thought he had dropped to his knees to pray, but I was soon disabused of that notion when he took out a notebook and began to write down measurements. Apparently, we are to have new flooring installed.

He was speaking into a silver rectangle in his hand, and he mentioned The Lady Marilyn and her desire for a similar flooring pattern to that at one of my previous stations, this being 1 Chipman Hill. I recall it as a very attractive design, a light crème colour, almost but not quite white, with contrasting darker diamond shapes in the middle of each four slabs of marble.

His last words before he pocketed the rectangle were “Thank you, Marilyn”. I have yet to sort out what type of communication this was and/or how it took place. I have so much to learn in this new century, it is already twelve years into it, but truly, I am far behind. I hope someone will explain things to me….

The housekeeper in charge of this building is Lady Giselle, I like her. She, apparently, is from Virginia in the Colonies. Her manner of speaking is somewhat different from the other staff. I must try to work this out. She is not difficult to understand, however, and she works along diligently. The house managers at some of the stately homes in which I worked when I was living in the UK were stern taskmasters, however, The Lady Kim who is apparently the manager over all the cleaning and related duties, runs a tight ship without being overly stern. That is nice. I like her, too.

I still think about “The Girl” from 5 Chipman Hill, though……and remember how she played the piano…Will I ever see her again?

I will close now, gracious readers, and bid you all a fond good night.

Yours in Knighthood,

Sir Syd

No comments:

Post a Comment