CHS

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A KNIGHT ON HIS OWN




Gracious Readers;

This has been a very quiet weekend. A lot of my guests have gone on a weekend away, some, I would imagine, have gone home, but others, I would wager, are far too far away from their homes to have gone back for a weekend, so I would guess that perhaps they have gone to Halifax or perhaps even to “The Boston States” (as the older folks called New England back in the 1920’s and 30’s when there was a mass exodus from the Maritimes and Quebec to the jobs in the US.)

I happened to overhear the Lady Susan as was telling the Lady Kim that her paternal great grandparents went to Hartford, CT in the early years of the 20th century, and then her paternal grandparents went to Boston in the late 1920’s, and her grandmother’s sisters also. Many of “the girls” worked as nurses…..The Lady Susan’s late father was born in 1929 in Waltham, Mass., and apparently went back to work in the US a couple of times in his late teens and then again in his early 30’s……

The relationship between the New England States and the Canadian Maritime Provinces seems to have been far more friendly than, for instance, a similar geographical situation with which I am much more familiar, being the England/Scotland relationship. This was fraught with ill will and ill feelings for such a long time, when I was a young knight, more than a century ago…….or perhaps two or three centuries……

To tell the truth, dear readers, I cannot really work out exactly how old I am.

Some of my memories are so vivid, but others have faded over the decades and perhaps the centuries….

Yours in Knighthood

Sir Syd.

No comments:

Post a Comment