CHS

Monday, January 16, 2012

A Knight by the Window



Gracious Readers;

It is early morning, fairly early in the month and early in the year, and I have ventured upstairs here at 71 Sydney Street,  the Chipman Hill Suites property I am currently guarding, to see the beautiful stained glass window, before the guests are up. I listen intently to the early morning sounds of the City, and also, for guests beginning to stir.

As soon as I hear the first of the guests arising, (there is a full house here tonight, I heard one of the housekeepers say yesterday as she departed to her home...), I must quickly return to my post by the front door. It is imperative that no one know that, in fact, I wander the halls at night to keep watch over my charges.

The stained glass window is huge. I understand that it is one of the largest stained glass windows in any home in Saint John, which, I have learned, is the oldest City in Her Majesty’s Dominion of Canada.

Stained glass windows were very popular in England, my birthplace. Of course, they were very much in evidence in even the smallest of village churches, but also, they were an item of status and showed wealth in private homes. They were much more expensive (and beautiful) than plain window glass, and the aristocrats were very conscious of having these trappings of wealth to impress their peers.

I understand that the Chipman Hill Suites building at 2 Mecklenburg has substantially larger and many more stained glass windows than this building at 71 Sydney Street. Whilst I will miss my beautiful surroundings here at 71 Sydney, I am, indeed, a curious knight and realize that my protective capabilities must be shared with all the Chipman Hill Suites buildings I have been charged with looking after.

It has not been mentioned, but I suspect a move in the month of February is being contemplated. I greet this thought with very mixed emotions. My stay here at 71 Sydney Street has been so very pleasant.

The sun is rising higher, and traffic on the street has increased. I hear stirrings from the guests, water running, and other signs that it is now time for me to return to my post at the front door, and stand, un-moving, until late this night.

Please excuse my hasty departure.

Yours in knighthood,

Sir Syd.



No comments:

Post a Comment