CHS

Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Knight In


Oh!  The excitement!  Even though my journey here was on the shoulders of others, I must admit to enjoying it: sea air and the sights and sounds of the city, albeit slightly bewildering in its (to me) newness and unfamiliarity.  I have experienced far more in the last few weeks than I have in an age! I must admit though, I do not crave the same excitement I did in my youth and it is far more pleasurable to be able to enjoy oneself without the spillage of entrails!  I consider myself most fortunate that the entrails spilled were never mine and, thankfully, rarely those of friends.  Mind, there was an incident with a French gentleman at a battle in Castile – the Spring of 1367 I believe, if my memory serves me well.  I came far too close to leaving various organs on French land and would have, if it were not for the intervention of the Prince Edward.  I do wonder why he was referred to as the ‘Black Prince’ though as he was most definitely not, although his character could also not be referred to as white – more of a medium shade of grey.  He was a few years younger than yours truly and even more of a charmer with the ladies! Talk of his various offspring, prior to his marriage, were abundant and his wife, the Princess Joan (who truly was a ‘’Fair Maid of Kent’’), was most discrete in her dealings with those claiming to be her own sons half-siblings.
Nonetheless, moving in to such grand quarters is exciting.  I am currently admiring my surroundings and am quite delighted by what I see before me.  There is a beautiful staircase leading up; gracefully curved and charmingly highlighted by the exquisite moulding that frames the window.   This brightness is such a delectable change to my existence in the crate!  If only I could move (and if I had bones to rest) I would sink into the cushioned sofa or rest my arms on one of the high-backed chairs, pondering my next chess move.
I have heard that this building is one of few that survived a fire that swept the City of Saint John in 1877. A most terrible and destructive force in any uncontained environment and one which, miraculously, only cost the lives of 18 people.  Sadly, many thousands of people lost their homes and livelihoods and had to start anew.  Saint John, however, arose like a phoenix from the ashes and was built again, far stronger and more determined than ever before to become a great city once again.
It is, however, rather quiet here and I do miss my friends Ken, Marilyn and Jane.  I also miss the soothing sound of the water feature that was in the office foyer.  One could close ones eyes (if one had them) and envision oneself sitting on the banks of a small stream, breathing in the scented air that spring brings.
Apart from my surroundings there is, however, another source of light in my existence: there is a computer, so I can continue to write my Blog and, if I do not hear guests in the vicinity (there is so much to do in Saint John, people are often enjoying the amenities and entertainment venues, which are all but a few short minutes walk away), I am not limited to out-of-office hours! Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment