CHS

Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Knight's Past

Gracious Readers;

It appears I must apologise!  I have been absolutely remiss in my manners and have committed a terrible crime completely unbefitting someone of my title. I can only surmise that my new found freedom from the crate and the joy which has overcome me since my release has affected me more deeply than I imagined. I have, to my utmost horror, completely neglected to introduce myself!   I will herewith correct this error and hope you, my dearest followers, can accept my humble apologies.
My name is Sir Sydman Orion Gerburg of Princliff.   I was born in 1321 in the town of Ludgershall, in the county of Wiltshire, England.   I swore my allegiance to the very noble Lord Charles Lytton and the Lady Eleanor, and lived in a cottage on the grounds.  Ours was but a small town, with barely 100 inhabitants and those fortunate enough to have work were in the employ of the Lord and Lady.  My humble beginnings were in the Crown Inn, an alehouse, where I was born to Maude and Thomas Gerberg.  My father was originally a tanner from nearby Biddesden, but was involved in a rather unfortunate incident which put a premature end to his craft.  Instead of using the fermented mulberry in the tanning process, he developed a taste for it.  As this was mixed with various other substances, not meant for consumption, his behaviour became rather erratic.  When he tried tanning the hide of a potential customer’s steed, whilst it was still (temporarily) in perfectly good health, he found himself suddenly in a different location with no memory of the facts, which I daresay was not a bad thing.  Taking pity on him, and having done some admirable work for the landlord in more sober times, he became a trusted bartender and eventually managed the Inn until the end of his days.  I do believe he told some untruths to my Lord, but the outcome was that I was sent to the Castle as a page, at the tender age of 7, to begin my journey down the long road to becoming a Knight.

Anyway, that is the story of my beginning.  I will divulge more in time, but I would like to share with you the happenings of today.
Today, there appeared to be great excitement at Chipman Hill Suites; which I have now learned is the collective name for a group of beautiful, historical buildings which can be used for a small tariff by people on their travels or remaining in the city of Saint John.  Several people entered the building and disappeared into a room, where I heard them discussing several things including, apparently, yours truly!  A kindly, distinguished gentleman stopped to look at me and nodded his head ‘’Yes, excellent idea.’’, whilst another lady, who I have come to know as Marilyn, informed him that it would be very soon.  I cannot be completely certain, but I get the very distinct feeling that I might not be here for too long.  Where I will be going, I do not know.  I know only that I have felt very much at home here and will miss my conversations (albeit unheard) with Ken, Marilyn and the other people with whom I have spent such pleasant times recently.  Intriguing...

No comments:

Post a Comment